Friday, January 9, 2015

Letter to Mayors or Managers

Dear Mayor or City Manager
My name is Mike and I have Prostate Cancer. When I were told the devastating news that I have this horrible disease, my wife and I were stunned, shocked and horrified. Even 1 1/2 years later I am still shocked, stunned and horrified that prostate cancer does not get the same support in September for Prostate Cancer Awareness Month as October does for Breast Cancer. It is my mission to change it in Nevada I cannot do this alone that is why I am contacting all the Mayors of Nevada for your help! For my family every month is Prostate Cancer Awareness month 24/7 365.
I am going to try to contacted as many Mayors or City Managers is the state of Nevada to get a Resolution to support Prostate Cancer Awareness in the month of September. As you know many cities support Breast Cancer Awareness for the month of October.
I would love to see your City Hall or other Landmark illuminated BLUE in September even for one day is a start or even the whole month would show the families of prostate cancer that We are not alone in the fight to raise awareness. Can I count on a commitment from your City or Village for 2015? Though I am not a Citizen of your great City, I hope you would consider my request and have Nevada be the first State to have all cities supporting Prostate Cancer Awareness.

Look at the facts (from the American Cancer Society):
§                 About 238,590 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
§                 About 29,720 men will die of prostate cancer
About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. About 6 cases in 10 are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 67.
Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.5 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.


Sincerely,

Mike Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment